Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Review: The Siren

The Siren The Siren by Kiera Cass
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I didn't realize this was her first novel. I went in wanting The Selection and was left disappointed. If you go in knowing this was her first unpublished novel, I think you will enjoy it more.

The story is ok. Sirens. Fantasy. Mythology. All interesting things. But the characters are not fleshed out enough for me, and it felt like a first attempt too often. Which is unfair, because it was her first attempt. The dialogue was off somehow. Amateurish and it pulled me away from the story. But the part that really bugged me was Akinli's name. The spelling, the oddness of it. Every time I saw his name my brain made me stop and sound it out to remind me how to say it. Hey, weird names do that to me. I feel like she would have made a different choice now that her writing has matured, but maybe not.

The story was fine and there is the HEA you would expect. 2.5 stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment