Sunday, September 28, 2014

Silence (Silence #1)

Silence (Silence, #1)Silence by Natasha Preston

My rating: 1 of 5 stars


When I was in 7th grade, my best friend and I wrote a book together. It was written much like this one. Teen angst, cringe-worthy dialogue, and a weak plot. And I could forgive all of these things from a budding author, but what I can't forgive is the lack of editing. Riddled with typos, poor punctuation, and grammatical errors, this book was nearly unreadable. Quite frankly, I am shocked that the overall star rating is 3.86. When an author confuses "you're" and "your", it makes it nearly impossible to take anything else seriously.

Silence had the potential to be riveting. It's a sensitive topic and the author builds it up around the mystery of why Oakley hasn't spoken since she was five years old. But instead of drawing you into a dramatic storyline, we have 150 pages of, "Does my best friend Cole like me?" "Oh, I hope he likes me!" "Does she like me back?" I felt like I was reading a note passed in fifth grade English. "Do you like me? Check yes or no" and the girl makes a new box that says "maybe". Come on. Nothing struck me as realistic, from the dialogue to the characters. Also, I found her brother Jasper to be one of the most unlikeable, annoying characters ever written. A disappointment overall, and not recommended.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment