Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Review: The Last Girl

The Last Girl The Last Girl by Joe Hart
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Really torn what to rate this one. On one hand, I thought the premise was interesting. On the other, it was about 100 pages too long. It was a slow read for something that should have been full of action.

Meet Zoey, a woman in a world that isn't having girl babies anymore, and no one knows why. She has spent her life in a compound with other girls who are basically prisoners, but for their own safety. Lots of things happen, then more things happen, then we reach the cliffhanger ending to send us right into book 2's arms. Book 2 may be waiting quite a while (no offense).

My main beef may sound strange. Actually, I have two main beefs--one on the writing, one on the plot. 1) The writing. Zoey (and the rest of the girls) are written like young teens. I had to keep reminding myself that she was turning 21 in a few weeks. She seemed 14 at most. 2) The plot. Seriously, has everyone in America lost their minds at that point? Females do not determine gender, males do. So unless I misunderstood that they were (view spoiler), then this book makes no sense from top to bottom. Now that I'm thinking more about it, there are more threads to unravel and I may end up with no sweater, so I will stop this review and go drink coffee instead.

2.5 stars. I reserve the right to read book 2 at some point if it fits a challenge. Otherwise I will pretend they all lived happily ever after.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment