Sunday, January 7, 2024

Review: A Thousand Lives: The Untold Story of Hope, Deception, and Survival at Jonestown

A Thousand Lives: The Untold Story of Hope, Deception, and Survival at Jonestown A Thousand Lives: The Untold Story of Hope, Deception, and Survival at Jonestown by Julia Scheeres
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Sometimes the world makes me really, really sad. There really is true evil out there.

One of my earliest memories is of the Time Magazine cover of the Jonestown massacre in 1978. It was the first glimpse of death and destruction in the world. So as an adult, I really want to understand when people go to the dark side and sadly take others with them. Sometimes I read true crime, as icky and sad as it makes me feel.
Jim Jones was a meglomaniacal monster. He used and abused his flock, spread fear and punishment, split up families, and then moved them to South America where they were isolated, further brainwashed, and sacrificed them all. It's sick. He was sick, and it makes my heart hurt. At least a few of them got away to survive and tell their stories.
Tough subject matter with a bit too much of the author's personal slant on things to make it a true 4 star read, so rounding down to 3.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment