Monday, December 19, 2016

Review: The Long Winter

The Long Winter The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

If you know me at all, you know how much I hate being cold. Winter is the worst! This book is my worst nightmare. Snow. Way below zero temps. Freezing winds. No food. I like to think I am a hearty pioneer gal, but in my heart I know I love food and sunshine way too much. But, much like Laura, I would survive, because I'm strong like a bull.

A comically stereotypical Indian, straight from central casting, walks into the store in town and warns the white people that a big heap long winter is coming. He's basically ignored by everyone but Pa and the Wilder Boys, because they are smarter than everyone else. Plus handsome and talented and funny. But I digress. The winter comes, the trains stop, and the whole town is on the brink of death. Literally. Luckily for the entire town of DeSmet, Almanzo and Cap have more bravery than sense, and they go on a foolhardy mission to save the town.

I love this one. 4 stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment