Wednesday, July 30, 2014

I is for Innocent (Kinsey Millhone #9)

I is for Innocent (Kinsey Millhone, #9)I is for Innocent by Sue Grafton
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Reread of I is for Innocent. Classic Kinsey with a return of past characters: Henry, Rosie, and a side dish of Jonah.

Kinsey is freshly fired from her independent contractor gig at California Fidelity, and finds a new home with her attorney, Lonnie Kingman. Lonnie needs Kinsey's help investigating an old homicide for a client. Kinsey dives in head first, as always, and puts her life on the line. And in the climactic ending, she owes her life oddly to her ex-boyfriend, Dietz. You're welcome, Kinsey. Get on a plane to Germany already!

We also get the fun side plot of William, Henry's hypochondriac brother, who visits and falls in love with Rosie. Proof that there's a lid for every pot, and the heart wants what it wants. Clichéd, but true.

Set in the 1980's, it's interesting to see how much technology has changed things. Caller ID, cell phones, and the internet would have eliminated so many of the issues she encounters. Makes me thankful for all I have now. Phone lines cut? Ha! Fooled you. I don't even have a landline. My cell phone will prevent you for ambushing me in the dark, killers.

Incidentally, this book is the reason why I won't look through a door's peephole. The victim died when the murderer shot her through the door's peephole as she went to look through it. I'm scarred for life now. You knock on my hotel room door, you'd better say something to let me know it's you, or I'm never letting you in. You know, on the off chance you are a murderer.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment