Monday, July 14, 2014

The Testing (The Testing #1)

The Testing (The Testing, #1)The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Standard dystopian fare, but enjoyable. The world is recovering from war, destruction, and Mother Earth fighting back. There are parallels to the Hunger Games, Divergent and Legend, but with unique twists. Corrupt government? Check. Earth in chaos? Check. Plucky female lead? Check. Budding teen romance? Check. It's all here.

In the United Commonwealth of the former United States, high school graduates can be selected for the Testing for entrance to University. The Testing consists of 5 trials. If you survive these five trials, they interview you and determine if you are worthy to enter University and be a part of rebuilding the country. Cia is a bit of a Mary Sue, but I think she'll bloom in the next book. We'll see. Truth be told, I really want to find out more about her father, so I'm hoping he plays a bigger part in book 2. Or just write me a prequel, Joelle.

Fans of young adult dystopian should check it out. Three stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment