Thursday, July 31, 2014

The Dead and the Gone (Last Survivors #2)

The Dead and the Gone (Last Survivors, #2)The Dead and the Gone by Susan Beth Pfeffer
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I accidentally read book 3 prior to reading book 2, and I'm glad that I did. If I had read this one prior to jumping into This World We Live In, I might not have continued on. While we see the world through Miranda's eyes in books 1 and 3, we see it through Alex's in this one. It was a bit on the nose. Yes, we get it. They are Puerto Rican. They are Catholic. No subtlety here. I didn't find any of the characters likable. Bri was dumb. Alex was an aspiring saint / asshat. Julie was the only one who was remotely bearable. Too much is happening, and not enough is resolved.

This installment shows what happens in New York after a meteor knocks the moon closer to the Earth. We follow Alex and his sisters as they try to survive there and it follows the same timeline as book 1. This book could be read as a stand-alone novel, but I wouldn't recommend it.

The Alex you meet in this book is different from the one viewed through Miranda's eyes in book 3, and that's a good thing. I guess it helps you to understand a little about his decisions in book 3, but not entirely. I recommend reading them out of order or you might not continue with the series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment