Saturday, August 2, 2014

The Distance Between Us

The Distance Between UsThe Distance Between Us by Kasie West
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Do you remember the movie Pretty in Pink? Rich boy falls for the poor girl. She makes assumptions, his friends don't approve, single parent trying to make a better life for the daughter. Yeah, that's pretty much this book.

While I liked Xander (Alex, Alexander, whichever you prefer), I felt Caymen was trying too hard to be aloof and shitty to everyone. She was pretty unlikeable. Repeatedly telling us about her "dry humor" was way too on the nose. If the author has to justify and explain all of her comments, it isn't working for the character. I get that it was setting it up for a callback later in the book, but it didn't land for me.

And the ending? Seriously, it just ended. All the mysterious build up about her mom, her dad, and the shop, and it ends there? No. Just no. I could have given it three stars if the author had written a proper ending. I thought I was missing chapters in the ebook, it was so sudden.

Overall, underwhelming. 2 1/2 stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment