Thursday, August 28, 2014

The Book of Life (All Souls Trilogy #3)

The Book of Life (All Souls Trilogy, #3)The Book of Life by Deborah Harkness
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Wow, a lot happens in the final book of the trilogy. So many characters, and so many story lines that I feel like I need another read-through to keep it all straight. Matthew and Diana have returned to the present, and are assembling a gang of supporters to help find the missing pages of Ashmole 782, revoke the covenant, and allow all creatures to live in harmony and co-mingle as they would like.

Along the way, there is some sketchy science and little to no secret keeping. What happened to the trepidation and reluctance everyone had in book 1? Everyone just runs around pell-mell in this book, telling roomfuls of humans their secrets. And everyone, and I mean everyone, takes it in stride. Like the government wouldn't have both Matthew and Diana locked in a laboratory somewhere once they started blabbing their secrets all over New England. ESPECIALLY since she is pregnant. With twins.

And speaking of pregnancy, did I miss a wrap up with Sophie and Nathaniel Wilson and their witch / demon baby? So much was happening, it's possible I have forgotten.

Matthew is far less controlling in this book, and Diana is less of a Mary Sue. I like how they evolved over time, and I wanted to punch them far less this time around. Plus, I love how Harkenss wove history into an interesting storyline. Definitely made the history nerd in me a happy gal.

Anyway, I liked the conclusion, and I'm a little sad the series is over. For Gallowglass alone I would keep reading.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment