Friday, August 8, 2014

Sex with Kings

Sex with Kings: 500 Years of Adultery, Power, Rivalry, and RevengeSex with Kings: 500 Years of Adultery, Power, Rivalry, and Revenge by Eleanor Herman
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Oh, decadent history! I love to eat you up with a spoon.

Sex with Kings is a fast-paced tour through the various mistresses of kings throughout history. Some were well known to me, like Barbara Palmer and Diane de Poitiers, and others were new to me. The life of a mistress was a terrible career choice. I can't pretend to understand why women in those days would make this decision (or oftentimes, their family would make the decision for them). However, it was a fascinating introduction to different women throughout history.

Consider it a primer on women who you might want to read about further in other books, as there isn't a lot about each one. The perspective I want to know more about is from the one of the queen herself. I guess tolerating it was part of the job, which is why I am glad to be a mere peasant with a happy, normal marriage.

Full of intrigue, bad decisions, revenge and death, it is an interesting look back at the mistresses of the royal courts. History lovers will enjoy. A solid three stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment