Friday, May 25, 2018

Review: Cold-Hearted Rake

Cold-Hearted Rake Cold-Hearted Rake by Lisa Kleypas
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Good start to another winning series by Lisa Kleypas. We have Devon Ravenel, who has inherited a legacy, and a debt, that he never expected or wanted. He also has inherited relatives in the form of three distant cousins, as well as the widow of the former Earl, Kathleen. She's been there, quietly taking care of the girls, and trying to deal with her feelings about all of this. Devon arrives on the scene and it is instant hate/sparks/bickering that you know is going to turn to TLA. That's why we read these books, right?

At first, I couldn't figure out why Devon was supposed to be charming. He was a jerk, and Kathleen was rather cold. But as the plot wound on and people were running around in the rain on horses, I was sold. Then we have two interesting subplots, one with Devon's brother and his path to maturity and responsibility, and Lady Helen and Winterborne, which is completely spoiled by the title of book 2. I confess, the ending was one of those that made me set aside my other planned reads to find out what happened next, so well played, Lisa. Well played.

Very enjoyable start to the series. I'll read them all. 3.5 stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment