Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Review: The Upside of Irrationality: The Unexpected Benefits of Defying Logic at Work and at Home

The Upside of Irrationality: The Unexpected Benefits of Defying Logic at Work and at Home The Upside of Irrationality: The Unexpected Benefits of Defying Logic at Work and at Home by Dan Ariely
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Humans are so interesting. Why we make the decisions we do, why we react in ways both predictable and unpredictable, I find it all fascinating. Dan Ariely is a social scientist who had made a living trying to figure us out.

Lots of good takeaways here, from why people think (usually erroneously) that their ideas are best - I'm definitely guilty of this - to seeking revenge (me also) - to adapting to our situations, both good and bad. As I listened to the audio, I kept thinking I need to pull up the ePub and highlight some of these passages for my team at work. So much of it makes sense and can help you in any job where you deal with people, which is almost all of them. By the way, if you have a job where you never have to interact with another human, please call me so I can do the same job.

You should first read Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions, then read this. You will learn something about how humans make decisions, both yourself and those around you. Very good read. 4 stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment