Thursday, November 1, 2018

Review: Still Life

Still Life Still Life by Louise Penny
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

New series for me, and I wasn't disappointed. I will continue to solve crimes with Chief Inspector Gamache.

The story is set in a very small village in Canada, where everyone knows everyone and their secrets...mostly. Some secrets can be kept, of course. And Jane, who has lived there her whole life, taught school, and is a pillar of the community, has entered her questionable artwork into the village art fair. Side note, is this place a commune? How are so many renowned artist hiding in Three Pines? But I digress. No one can agree on Jane's painting, but the panel accepts it because good art causes an emotional response. But then tragedy strikes Three Pines, and Gamache and the gang are called in to investigate. Accident? Murder? It's not apparent at first but Gamache will get his man, to be sure.

This really sets the stage for future books. You get to understand why Gamache is seen as a good investigator. Why he is given new recruits to bring up. And a glimpse into some of the personalities I can only hope make their appearance in future books. While I'm not sure we will be in Three Pines in the next book, it's really about Gamache and his cases, so I'm good with wherever the crimes take us next. 3 stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment