Friday, February 6, 2015

The Diary of a Young Girl

The Diary of a Young GirlThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I can't believe I had never read this before. Heartbreaking to read about what happened to all of them after their discovery and capture.

I was surprised by this book. I expected more thoughts around being discovered, but in a way it is nice to see that she really was a young girl with hopes for the future. She was annoyed by her perfect older sister and her mom drove her crazy. It could apply to any girl at any time period.

I would be absolutely stir-crazy in the Annex. It's a miracle they didn't get caught sooner. Bad food, no food, no entertainment, strict schedules. You couldn't use the bathroom when you wanted.
I realize those in the concentration camps had it much worse, and it seems Anne did, too. For a young girl, she didn't complain too terribly much about being stuck there. She knew she was fortunate in a lot of ways.

I thought it was interesting to see how she matured during their time in the Annex. Deep down inside, she was just a regular teenaged girl, the same world-over. She really could have been a talented writer. What a shame.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment