Thursday, September 6, 2018

Review: Caroline: Little House, Revisited

Caroline: Little House, Revisited Caroline: Little House, Revisited by Sarah Miller
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Ah, Laura Ingalls Wilder, you have given me so many years of enjoyment. As fictionalized and whitewashed as your family story is, I love it so much. So when I heard someone had been authorized by the estate to tell Caroline's story, I knew I was in. I was not disappointed.

You see, I am a pioneer at heart. I love everything about Laura's story of life in Wisconsin all the way to South Dakota. I love Caroline and Charles. And I love Almanzo most of all (swoon!). And I've always had a not-so-wonderful picture of Ma Ingalls in my mind. I didn't dislike her, but she wasn't my favorite character. I always related to Charles and Laura's wild spirit, and need to continually move and explore the country. But this book changed that for me. Caroline, in this version, helps me understand her better. And I completely fell in love with her version of Charles. True or false, I loved this glimpse at the Ingalls family as they moved from Wisconsin to Kansas. Jack, Pet and Patty, the wolves, Mr. Edwards. All of it. It made my heart sing.

The writing was a little uneven and it wasn't a fast read, but I loved the story and my return to Little House. 4 stars. I want more.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment