Sunday, April 12, 2015

Shakespeare Saved My Life

Shakespeare Saved My Life: Ten Years in Solitary with the BardShakespeare Saved My Life: Ten Years in Solitary with the Bard by Laura Bates

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


"People just put themselves into so many prisons."

I found this book through Overdrive's Big Library Read, a global eBook club through your local library. If you haven't participated, you should. It will introduce you to some books you might not have found on your own.

Laura Bates must be crazy, or a saint. She dedicated a large chunk of her time to teaching Shakespeare to convicts in solitary. Along the way she meets an interesting enigma of a man In Larry Newton.

As a memoir, it's a bit dry. I never really felt her passion for teaching Shakespeare in prison. I still don't feel like I know Laura Bates at all--it was very surface. However, I found Larry Newton to be a fascinating mixture of bad decisions and interesting self development. It makes me wonder how many others could find something to help them grow with the right topics and teachers.

Overall a three-star read. Not life-changing but still interesting.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment