Sunday, April 12, 2015

The Lake of Dead Languages

The Lake of Dead LanguagesThe Lake of Dead Languages by Carol Goodman

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I liked it. It's a re-read for me, and I didn't love it like I remembered from the first time. It was, to be fair, many years ago when I read it and my life is very different now. It's an interesting book. Part mystery, part romance, all dramatic and overly complicated with a gothic feel. It made me want to learn Latin.

What I did like: weaving the past and the present together. The Latin. The boarding school setting. What I didn't like: the overly obtuse main character. Really? You can't figure out what is going on? I need my heroines to be smarter than she was throughout the book. And then when you do it gets spelled out to us, the readers, like we are small children. Also, the villain sucked and the explanation was lame. But overall, I still liked it, just not in 4 or 5 star territory this time around.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment