Thursday, July 23, 2015

The Old Man and the Sea

The Old Man and the SeaThe Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Reading my way through the classics and thought I would dive into my first Hemingway. I can't say I was disappointed.

We journey to Cuba to fish with Santiago, the old man of said title, and go with him out to the sea. Santiago has had a bit of a dry spell, not catching anything for 84 days. 84 days! What is this poor old man living on? Well, nothing but the kindness of Manolin, his sometimes apprentice. Determined to turn his luck, Santiago heads far out to search for a big catch.

Part man vs.nature, part reflections from an old man on a long life, this final book by Hemingway has many layers. I liked it. 3 stars.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment