Sunday, February 25, 2018

Review: Behind Her Eyes

Behind Her Eyes Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Not a lot I can say about this book without spoiling it. But man, do I want to tell you everything.

Yes, there are twists. The publisher created a whole media campaign for this book with #WTFthatending, for crying out loud. I almost would have enjoyed it more if they hadn't though. It's a slow plot, winding back and forth from the past and the present, jumping from character to character. At times you have to stop and wonder what is going on--what timeline are we in? Can we believe the narrative? And with a whole host of unlikeable characters, it's easy to take away a star.

I was intrigued through the end, and then it was ruined for me. I was with you, oh dark, psychological suspense. Bad people doing bad things. Never knowing who to trust. But I like being able to piece together the clues afterwards to see what I missed, and I just wouldn't have been able to get there with this one. Much like Adele, this book suffers from an identity crises.

I wanted to give it 4 stars but the ending pissed me off. Sticking with 3 for the gimmick more than anything.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment