Thursday, August 23, 2018

Review: Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life

Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life by Thich Nhat Hanh
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Every year on January 1st, I spend time reflecting on my goals for the coming year. I also choose a word to guide me, and this year it was "mindful". This book a quick read to reset my inner clock for August. Like many of you, I move a million miles an hour, and if I don't add in things to get me to stop, reflect, and breathe, I miss out on life.

A few things that really stood out to me:
"The root cause of any internal formation is a lack of understanding." Pause, reflect, and seek to understand. This applies for most things in life. Try it.
"We would be much happier if we tried to stay in touch with the healthy, joyful seeds inside of us and around us. We should learn to ask, "What's not wrong?" and be in touch with that." Completely need to do this more. Instead of picking things apart, I need to ask what is right with the situation. Stay focused on the positive and that's how you will feel.
Blaming Never Helps - "When you plant lettuce, if it does not grow well, you don't blame the lettuce. You look into the reasons it is not doing well. It may need fertilizer, or more water, or less sun. You never blame the lettuce." This applies to problems and relationships. Always strive to own your part of the situation and make things better. Or don't eat lettuce.

A short read that you can digest a section at a time, or read in 30 minutes and go back later when needed. 3 stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment