Sunday, March 11, 2018

Review: Pretty Poison

Pretty Poison Pretty Poison by Joyce Lavene
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Cozy mysteries really can be hit or miss for me. This one had some high points, but when you find the quirky affectations of the main character particularly annoying, it doesn't bode well for the series.

Peggy Lee is a quirky gal with spirit. She's got a green thumb, and she owns a garden shop. She's widowed, still misses her cop husband, wears a purple cape (I wish I were kidding) and rides her bike everywhere because she is environmentally conscious. She's even converting her old Rolls Royce to hydrogen. Plus she teaches at the university. She does it all in her fabulous 50s.

The plot is thin...dead body in her shop overnight. Poison. Flowers. A sexy vet next door who is a (gasp) younger man and he's definitely interested in Peggy. A cast of characters in her shop who are nearly as annoying as she is. And an awesome, awesome dog. Honestly, I'm going to read book 2 because of the dog and the vet.

2.5 stars, and I just can't bring myself to round up. Sorry, Peggy, but you are trying way too hard to be quirky for me. Dial it back and you might get the third star in book 2.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment