Sunday, March 18, 2018

Review: The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I've been sitting on this for a few days, trying to gather my thoughts. Super torn about how to rate this one. On one hand, I enjoyed the mystery. I thought it was quite interesting, but I do like stamps. I have a collection myself, but nothing really rare or valuable like in this story.

I liked how dysfunctional the de Luce family is, and how Dogger and Mrs Mullet just roll with it all. It was all quirky in a good way. They are a strange combo of odd and normal. And while I liked Flavia, and her genius wrapped up in immaturity, she played older than 11 years old. Had she been just a few years older, I think I would have been in love. Genius or no, she just didn't feel eleven, if that makes sense.

However, I give full kudos to the narrator for the audio. She was delightful and actually bumped my rating up from 3 to 4. Definitely will read book 2.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment