Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Review: Brownies and Broomsticks

Brownies and Broomsticks Brownies and Broomsticks by Bailey Cates
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book started out firmly in the 2 star pile, but slowly redeemed itself. Or my mood got better. It's hard to say.

We meet Katie, who is a baker, as she moves to open a bakery with her aunt and uncle in Savannah, Georgia. She's fresh out of a relationship and ready for a new start. As you would expect with a cozy mystery, there is a murder right out of the gate. Shockingly, Katie isn't the accused, but she's on the case and causing issues for the police force. I'm shaking my head over here at some of her decisions. Seriously, Katie. Just stop it. Oh, and did I mention that Katie is a very powerful witch, but has no idea until she finds out her aunt is also a witch? And her mom and dad, who failed to tell her and help her foster those magical abilities? This is far from the least believable part of this book, friends.

I ended up liking Katie and trying my best to ignore the love triangle you always get in this kind of series. I liked her aunt and uncle, I adored her dog, I'm suspicious of her nosy neighbor, and I'm pretty annoyed by the ladies of the coven. I'm not feeling any of their characters. It's like the author tried way too hard to make them each "interesting" and "unique". They are not either of these things. I'm landing on "annoying" and "ridiculous". However, I did end up liking the story by the end and will eventually read book 2 someday. 3 stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment