Saturday, April 21, 2018

Review: What Happens in London

What Happens in London What Happens in London by Julia Quinn
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Book 2 in the Bevelstoke series. Not quite up to my love of the Bridgertons, but I'm not sure anything will take their place.

You see, I didn't think much of Olivia in The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever. I thought she was rather two-dimensional and a little unlikeable. Miranda seemed to be a much better friend to her than Olivia was back. However, we get more exposure to her inner thoughts and emotions, and she's better in this book. I mean, she's the heroine, so let's hope she's better. But Harry! And Sebastian! They were both divine. Julia Quinn writes a good hero, and an excellent HEA. That's why I love her so much. And I always love a good Russian spy storyline. Must be because I'm a child of the 80s Cold War.

Weird things that stood out to me: Olivia's parents, and especially her mother, are barely in this book. Which is strange, because her mother was all over Miranda's story and she isn't even related to her. And Winston was barely around as well. I know this is set after Miranda's story, so Olivia has had 3 seasons and is on the shelf, but I expected more family interactions like in the first book.

But it's Julia Quinn, and it's funny and sweet, and I'm a marshmallow so I loved it anyway. It didn't hurt that I loved Harry so much and the surrounding cast of characters were interesting and intriguing (I'm looking at you, Vladimir. Hope you get your own book soon). Excited to read Sebastian's story in book 3. I'm sure it will be entertaining.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment