Sunday, April 29, 2018

Review: Small Great Things

Small Great Things Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book was fantastic. I had to wait a few days to formulate my review because it was such an emotional roller coaster.

Race relations are never easy to discuss. There are some people who, no matter what you say, what facts you present to them, will never change their minds. And you can't understand someone's life if you haven't walked in their shoes.

Meet Ruth. She's a long-time L&D nurse, one of the hardest jobs out there. By all accounts, she knows her stuff. She also happens to be black. She attends to a newborn, as you do, and walks straight into his parents, who are white supremacists. When things go wrong, they are quick to point the finger at her.

Meet Kennedy. She's a hard-working public defender who hasn't really gotten her shot at a huge case yet. Kennedy is white. She's just grinding along, trying to find quick justice for her case load when she comes across Ruth. She wants to help Ruth and fights to keep the case. I want to tell you more, but instead I ask for you to read the book. Don't read any reviews before you start. Stop reading mine, go read the book, then come back and tell me what you think.

And the audiobook was well done with multiple narrators (always a favorite of mine), so if that's your thing, do that version. 4.5 stars that I am rounding up because I am still thinking about this book days later.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment