Friday, January 25, 2019

Review: Lock In

Lock In Lock In by John Scalzi
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This was a POFM in January, and I am pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it once I got used to the setting.

A terrible disease has swept the globe, causing people to be "locked in" to their bodies, essentially unable to do anything. However, technology finds a way, and now these people can transfer their consciousness to a robot-type device to interact with the world. Or they can join a virtual world and be what they want. Or they can hire someone to let them take over the bodies. Scary? Yes. And now you have the premise of the book. One of the most famous victims of Haden's Syndrome is now an FBI agent, and day one on the job he is assigned a case involving a Haden.

Once you get into the weird future/not future setting and the Haden technology, you have yourself a pretty good mystery with interesting characters. I'll probably read book 2, although the ending left me pretty satisfied and I think this could have just been a standalone. 3 stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment