Saturday, June 23, 2018

Review: Love Became Theirs

Love Became Theirs Love Became Theirs by Barbara Cartland
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

If you follow my reviews at all, you know how much I like to destroy my extensive Barbara Cartland collection. However, color me pleasantly surprised by this one.

Rona is a rich girl and her daddy wants to marry her off to a titled man who can get him into the best clubs. Rona, however, wants to marry for love. Who doesn’t, girl? She has a chance encounter with a harlequin at the costume ball and decides, after a short conversation and a brief kiss, to run away and take a governess position under an assumed name. As you do, back in the day. Will she find her happily ever after? You know she will. Babs doesn’t write them any other way.

Rife with the insta-love that you know will be there, we also get some intrigue, and a mostly smart, self-assured heroine that is a rarity in Dame Barbara’s works. We get a dashing harlequin and a very nice Earl who doesn’t get what he deserves, but I’m hoping he makes an appearance in one of her 700 other books. I really liked him.

Far better than most of her other novels. Maybe this one had a ghost writer. 3 stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment